Medieval lead ampulla, c.1350-1530. The obverse is decorated with a simple eight-petalled flower on a plain background. The reverse bears a crowned W on a plain background. The neck and both loops are intact. Length 43.90mm, width 32.95mm, thickness 6.06mm, weight 30.00g. The Salisbury Museum Catalogue includes two ampullae bearing the letter W (although both have different obverses), and lists a number of others found in the south of the country. There is a discussion of the possible significance of the W – it may be associated with the cult of Our Lady of Walsingham (with the crown indicating the Virgin as Queen of Heaven); alternatively it may be a double V (for Virgo Virginium), or M for Maria when inverted.

A resized image of Lead pilgrim's ampulla with eight-petalled flower and crowned W.A resized image of Lead pilgrim's ampulla with eight-petalled flower and crowned W

Advertisements